Saturday, February 4, 2012

A special day

Publishing is a rough roller-coaster of a business. The external rewards are uncertain and capricious, and the best rewards are internal: the joy of writing a sentence that sings, for example. But every now and then, we get those rare days when everything comes together, outward and inward success. Days of celebration.

Thanks to the wonderful staff at Children's Book World, and the friends and readers who showed up or ordered books by phone, today was such a day. Try Not to Breathe was officially welcomed to the shelves, complete with an enthusiastic crowd and a cake with the book cover on it. This is my second published novel and the twenty-somethingth piece of writing I've published, but that thrill never gets old. I never take this for granted or get blase about seeing my book in a store.

Even more special to me is the fact that this book is about recovery from a suicide attempt. It's about putting one's life back together, about finding hope.

May your own dreams come true. And thanks for sharing this journey with me.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the much-awaited release! I can't wait to see it at the book shop! I'll send you a picture of it in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mieke! It has been spotted in bookstores, so it should be out there.

      Delete