Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fiction and reality

The movie version of being a writer:
Pounding away at keyboard. Writing one draft. Instantly selling a manuscript and having it come out a couple of weeks later. Going to cocktail parties and TV interviews to promote it.

The real-life version of being a writer:
Fighting with the cat over who gets "the good chair." Wondering why, for quarterly taxes, the quarters are not divided evenly. Sending a whiny email to a fellow writer. Checking email. Checking Twitter. Checking Goodreads to see if that giveaway posted. Updating calendar. Wondering if you should do anything about the fact that your typing has just about worn the letter "V" off your keyboard. Marveling because you didn't think you used the letter "V" all that much.

Sometimes, you stare at the wall for an hour and come up with one sentence. Sometimes, it's even a good sentence.

6 comments:

  1. Hehe, you're brilliant. Love this. :) My V hasn't started wearing down yet...odd. But my track pad on my laptop is wearing pretty thin. That scares me. Do I use my track pad more than I use the letter keys? Ack...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C, D, E, and R aren't looking too good either. I must have a heavy left hand!

      Delete
  2. I've actually worn down the letters "F" and "R" on my keyboard. While the movie version is oh so appealing, I like the real-life version of my experience better. (I may just be saying that in case saying the former comes back to bite me in the ass.)

    I see you've got some panel discussion appearances in the South Jersey area in April! I'll see you then, with my copy of Try Not To Breathe to sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my R looks like a P.

      Will be happy to see you in April!

      Delete
  3. And sometimes that one sentence can feel like the ultimate triumph of the day. Or week.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, sometimes that sentence is the highlight!

      Delete