Saturday, January 14, 2012

A writer goes to the bookstore

Last weekend, I went book shopping, to use a gift card I'd gotten over the holidays. Browsing the shelves made me so happy, as did carrying home my selections.

I had heard that becoming a published author can ruin the bookstore experience. That authors can get upset if their books aren't stocked, and upset if they're stocked but are buried spine-out on a bottom shelf. The first few weeks after my book came out, I did have the weird sensation of blushing every time I crossed a bookstore threshold, as if spotlights were going to follow me while a loudspeaker blared: "THAT WOMAN IN AISLE 3 IS AN AUTHOR! SHE IS GOING TO CHECK AND SEE IF HER BOOK IS HERE! ISN'T THAT PATHETIC? AND CAN YOU BELIEVE SHE LEFT THE HOUSE IN THOSE PANTS?!"

I'll be honest: I still do get a little blush-y if my book is there, and a little stomach-drop if it's not. But mostly, bookstores are still the places they always were: some of my favorite places on earth. I am, first and foremost, a reader. I'm still in love with the written word, and with other people's books.

5 comments:

  1. Funny. My thought, if the book isn't there, it's that they're so HOT they can't keep them on the shelves. ^_^

    Bookstores, libraries, stationary stores. Don't know how I'd live without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re your last sentence: I hope we never have to find out ...

      Delete
  2. That is quite a scene: spotlighted writer in bad pants or with terrible hair skulking around the bookstore, turning her books face out. I think you have the beginnings of a new book, Jenn.

    Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lee, then I can pretend that scene is totally fictional! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I love the bad pants line, hehe. The thoughts that go through our heads! I look for books from authors I know every time I go to the bookstore, but I rarely try and look for my books because I know they won't be there unless I asked for them to be there. Small publisher phenomenon. Things might change in the future, but like you, that's not why I go to a bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete