Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Back to the center

There's so much to remember and keep track of in writing--and then, if one publishes, there's so much to learn about bringing a book out into the world.

It's gratifying to get positive responses to our work, and it's stimulating to get thoughtful critiques. But amid all the mental checklists, the reflections from others, the details and the concerns, the trends and the pitches, the rules and the exceptions, there's just this:

A story.

If I find myself wandering around and feeling a bit lost, if the latest PublishApocalypse story throws me, if I hear one more time that you can't do this and you must do that, if I worry too much about what so-and-so might think of what I write--

then I come back to the center. To the voice inside that drives everything I write. To the place that's somehow fun, even when the subject matter is difficult and the characters are in trouble.

This is the part that matters most.

3 comments:

  1. That is so true. It is so easy to get swept up in the hullabaloo of the "do this, do that" that we wind up getting lost in the voices of others. It's the voice inside that matters most.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Jenn. I am thankful for the comfort I find in your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are so right. And this is important to keep in mind. I often get distracted and stray from the center, where I need to be. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy writing, Mieke and Cynthia! And I am thankful for you and everyone who takes the time to comment on my posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete