Friday, October 21, 2011

Are you having any fun?

Writers can measure success by the numbers: words written, books sold, money earned, awards won. But there's a qualitative aspect to success that's just as important:

Are you feeling the joy?

It may seem strange for the writer of dark contemporary YA to speak of joy. But there's a satisfaction in expressing something that feels true, in finding the vein of hope that runs through our darkest human experiences. Writing can be frustrating and sad and puzzling on occasion, and it's a huge amount of work, but it can also be fun. It isn't fun every minute, but some wellspring has to feed the incredible drive it takes to get from the first page of a book to the last. How do you stay in touch with that joy?


A couple of notes, for those interested:

My short story, "The Stage Manager," appears in the latest version of Hunger Mountain.

I'll be appearing at the Neshaminy Mall (PA) Barnes & Noble this Saturday, Oct. 22, from 1 to 4 PM. I'll be there with several other authors: Ellen Jensen Abbott, Cyn Balog, Alison Formento, Alissa Grosso, Amy Holder, Keri Mikulski, Nancy Viau, and Cynthia Chapman Willis. Once again, I'll have an advance copy of Try Not to Breathe with me, and the first person who asks me for it can have it.

4 comments:

  1. My blog is "Musing on the Joy of Writing" and I've tried to stick to that theme, even when things get tough. When my writing starts to feel like a chore and a bore, it's time for me to take a break or switch projects, or go for a walk in the woods.

    Have fun at B&N this weekend. Again, I wish I had one of those transportation superpowers. Now I must go check out that short story of yours. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Angelina, and keep finding the joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. Have a great author gathering!

    ReplyDelete