Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Milestone: Try Not to Breathe

The Penguin spring 2012 catalog is online, so this cover is now in the public realm. I thought I'd do a little show and tell, because so much of this blog is about works in progress, and struggles, and the neverending writing process, and it's just nice to have a finished product to show you every now and then. This book is indeed finished--although it won't be appearing for another six months, so this is the last I'll say about it until sometime in the fall. But for now, thank you all for sharing this ride with me.



I like the way the designer incorporated rainwater, glass, and the waterfall, all of which are important elements in the story. This is another contemporary YA novel with a male narrator, although he's different from the narrator of The Secret Year. Although he's outwardly more privileged, inwardly he's in much more trouble, I think.

The short synopsis: In the summer after his suicide attempt, 16-year-old Ryan struggles with guilty secrets and befriends a girl who’s visiting psychics to try to reach her dead father.

The preorder pages have started to creep out there onto the internet: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Powell's  (couldn't find it on IndieBound yet). But I'll put up complete links later. This book will now return to the wings, waiting for its cue to come back on stage, while I fuss with the manuscript that will hopefully become its younger sibling.

5 comments:

  1. OMG... beautiful cover. Completely gorgeous. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cover! I can't wait to read this novel... I hate having to wait! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cynthia!
    I'm sure the next 6 months will pass quickly--except for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete