Saturday, July 30, 2011

By candlelight

In the past couple of weeks, I've witnessed a bungled software upgrade that rendered email unusable for a day, a computer meltdown, and a denial-of-service attack that took out a social network for the better part of a week, in addition to the usual random errors, freezes, spam, phishing, and glitches that are a general part of digital life. This was topped off by a total power failure in my neighborhood last night.

I tweeted only a day or two ago--and this was before the power failure--that the current quality of our technology and our digital infrastructure makes me less than confident that we're ready to migrate our entire civilization to online platforms. 'Tis a fragile thing indeed, I reflected last night, while reading a print book by candlelight. (Yes, I was rockin' it like the nineteenth century!)

And let us not forget that one woman with a garden trowel recently took out the internet for most of Armenia and parts of Georgia and Azerbaijan.

I wouldn't call myself a Luddite, but let's just say I have a healthy amount of caution about Our Digital Future, and based on what I see all around me, I think that caution is warranted. I'm not throwing out my candles just yet, 'sall I'm saying.

But the power failure had one good effect on my writing: it gave me an excuse to step back and let my current work-in-progress marinate. I could have written something in longhand, but I had reached a point of frustration with it, a murky patch where I couldn't see the way forward, and the direction I thought I needed to take was resulting in scenes that were either boring or overwrought. Instead of wrestling with it again last night, as I surely would have if we'd had power, I stepped back from it. Of course, I could stepped back without a power failure. Let's see if I can remember that next time.

5 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes. Yes. I impose an artificial power outage every Saturday evening for 24 hours. And early Monday mornings I set aside time to work through plot issues, disguised as a long hike in the woods.

    Having studied a bit about electromagnetic pulse (EMP), I will not be surprised if we one day reap a bitter harvest from our dependence on electronic devices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we need the force of another hand to actually step back from work. In my case, I think I need the force of that hand to come back to my work.

    As for the technology issue, I am afraid I have become way too dependent on this thing we call the internet. Especially with all this cloud computing going around. Now I feel like printing out everything, just to be safe. *panic-attack!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology does have its ups and downs--and since so many people are dependent on it these days, the effects of a failure or outage can be significant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angelina, Mieke and Eagle: There are so many angles to consider. It's helpful to ask, "What is this giving me and what is this costing me? Am I happy this way? Do I need to adjust my balance?"

    ReplyDelete