Saturday, July 2, 2011

Across media

My last entry included a playlist for a short-story anthology. This has gotten me thinking about the media cross-over we're undergoing. For years now, books have been turned into movies (and vice versa). We've had fanfiction and audiobooks. But now we also have book trailers, apps, playlists, blogs, and interactive media. For me, the book is still the best part. But I have to admit, when a reader sent me a trailer she'd made for The Secret Year, it was an honor and a thrill.

Sometimes cross-media connections instantly suggest themselves. For example, I have long cherished a vision of Jack Kerouac's On the Road as a black-and-white movie, with its opening song being "King of the Road." I hear they're making a movie of it now, and I know some little part of me will be playing backseat director. Have you ever read a book and had an instant vision for a playlist, or a movie, or a trailer for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment