Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Starting to write

Getting started on a writing session is often tough. Pulling up that file, engaging those brain cells ... I would rather check my email for the forty-seventh time today. Surely someone has sent me something important in the last ten minutes!

The brain wheels creak into gear. Where was I? Search for the row of asterisks that I always use to mark my stopping point, so that I can jump right to it. Okay, here we are. Reread a few sentences. Hmm. Got it. I feel the imaginary world now, rising around me. I'm slipping inside the characters' minds, seeing things through their eyes. I'm shaking words loose from that brain-bin where they all get stuffed when I'm not using them.

The characters are moving and speaking now. I can't wait to see what happens next.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, this sums up the way I get started, too. I have to start by reading the WIP before I can get into the writing. And I also use the row of asterisks to mark where I left off. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very accurate description of how things start off with me too. Although, I use a row of hyphens to mark where I left off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cynthia and Mieke. I suspected this might ring a bell! Now I can picture writers everywhere, opening their manuscripts and facing the day's work ...

    ReplyDelete