Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Reinvention of Edison Thomas

I've mentioned this book before, but I'm mentioning it again because the author is giving away a copy here on this blog!



The Reinvention of Edison Thomas, by Jacqueline J. Houtman, is about science fairs (find out how to make a tornado!), living with autism, and figuring out who your real friends are. Not only did I enjoy the book, I admired the way Jacqueline celebrated its launch with a Periodic Table of Cupcakes. (Actual quote from Jacqueline, worthy of John & Hank Green if you ask me: "Cupcakes were flavored according to their chemical group, noble gases were lemon, lanthanides were chocolate mint ...")

To qualify for the book, you must be at least 13 years old and able to receive mail in the US or Canada. Then just leave a comment below listing your favorite cupcake flavor (imaginary flavors OK), your favorite element of the periodic table, or just any old suitable-for-prime-time comment. Provide a way to identify/contact you if you win, and get your comment in by 7 PM EDT on Thursday, April 21. The winner will be chosen at random. In a twist from my usual one-entry-per-person rules, for this contest you can leave up to five comments, each one entitling you to an entry. This post will appear on both LiveJournal and Blogspot, and all the entries will be pooled to pick the winner.

Also, if you follow Jacqueline on Twitter (which you should because you want to hear about tornadoes, cupcakes, and the periodic table, don't you?) at @jjhoutman, your followership can help put books in classrooms. Here's how.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is one of the books that totally caught me with the title. And the subject. I have NO favorite elements, but how about a chocolate cupcake with peppermint frosting? PINK peppermint frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate cupcakes filled with cream.
    O for Oxygen would my favorite element because I use it every day.

    Thank you for this opportunity. I already read The Reinvention of Edison Thomas and loved it.

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, everyone is coming up with such great flavors. Good luck, folks!!

    ReplyDelete