Friday, April 8, 2011

Moments of rest

"I always forget how important the empty days are, how important it may be sometimes not to expect to produce anything ... The most valuable thing we can do for the psyche, occasionally, is to let it rest, wander, live in the changing light of a room, not try to be or do anything whatever."--May Sarton, Journal of a Solitude

Actually, this hasn't been one of those "empty days" for me, writing-wise. I accomplished a fair amount and hope to do more before bedtime.

It was one of those days when the persistent rain made my house seem cozy rather than gloomy, made my daily walk seem refreshing rather than dismal.

It was one of those days where certain upheavals occurred in my personal life, and yet I was able to keep some emotional detachment.

But I like Sarton's reminder that time to breathe is always an option. And if I haven't had such a day, I've had "breather" moments within this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment