Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ramble on

One tool I like to use during first drafts is what you might call stream-of-consciousness writing, or spontaneous writing (a la Kerouac). Quite simply, it involves channeling a voice and just writing down whatever that voice says--not censoring, editing, or judging it. Just letting it flow. Naturally, this style requires a lot of editing in subsequent drafts, but it can be useful for bursting through doubts or hesitations, or for making the most of a short writing session. This is often the style of my first drafts. Later, I go back and cut up all those long rambling sentences, prune out those endless conjunctions. If you've read any of my published writing, you'll know that I actually favor shorter sentences. But something about writing long sentences helps me get into a rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment