Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Patchwork quilt

I've been a-visiting again, exploring the internet beyond the margins of my own blog. Teralyn Pilgrim asked permission to repost a favorite of mine, "An Unusual Take on Conflict," where I discussed what a book about two improv actors taught me about writing.

I was also apparently the first guest blogger ever at Kelly Fineman's Writing and Ruminating, where Kelly asked me to talk about poetry and how it influenced The Secret Year, and how I solved the problem of showing a character's poetry when I don't write much poetry myself.

While you're clicking around, please comment on the participating blogs in the Library-Loving Challenge, where there are now a dozen participating bloggers, and follow the Twitter accounts @Margorowder, @JanetSFox, @MarineCorpsNomd, and @JennRHubbard to increase the donations. You play, we pay! Thank you to everyone who has commented and spread the word and donated.

And finally, a few quotations from May Sarton, to whom I often turn when I need inspiration of the writerly kind. All of these are from Journal of a Solitude:

"One must believe that private dilemmas are, if deeply examined, universal, and so, if expressed, have a human value beyond the private, and one must also believe in the vehicle for expressing them, in the talent."

"We do the best we can and hope for the best, knowing that 'the best,' so far as selling goes, is a matter of chance. The only thing that is not chance is what one asks of oneself and how well or how badly one meets one's own standard."

"... many feel their own suffering is unique. It is comforting to know that we are all in the same boat."

No comments:

Post a Comment