Monday, March 28, 2011

Leave a comment, help a library

This is a library-loving blog challenge!

In these tough economic times, library budgets are getting slashed just when their communities need them most. For every commenter on this post between now and Saturday, April 2, at 3 PM EDT, I will donate 50 cents to Cheltenham Township Libraries (PA) and 50 cents to the Free Library of Philadelphia, up to an amount of $100 total. (But if you see I've reached the cap, keep commenting, because I might be persuaded to increase my cap. It's been known to happen.) Update: While my own challenge is now closed (except for the Fool for Books giveaway, which continues through midnight), I urge you to click through to the blogs listed below, and comment there to help their libraries!

How easy could it be? You comment, I cough up the money, the libraries get a gift! If you don’t know what to say in your comment, “I love libraries” will do.

My pledge is “per commenter”—so if a single person leaves 50 comments, that still only counts once! But you can do more by spreading the word ... please link to this post, tweet about it, mention it on Facebook, etc. You can raise money for additional local libraries by visiting the blogs of others participating in this blog challenge:

Sarah Mullen Gilbert (The Writing Cave)
Janet Fox (Through the Wardrobe)
Margo Rowder (Margoblog)
Angela De Groot
Amy Brecount White
Kimberly Sabatini (Jess Free Falcon)
Jessica Leader
Colleen Rowan Kosinski
Jessica Shea Spotswood
Marine Corps Nomad
Kimberlee Conway Ireton
C. Lee McKenzie (The Write Game)
If you’re inspired to start your own challenge or donate a flat amount to your local library also, please leave the amount of your pledge and the name of your library system in the comments.
(As Jama Rattigan did, donating $200 to the Fairfax Library Foundation!)

There is also a Twitter component to this challenge. For every new follower I get and keep at my Twitter account @JennRHubbard between now and Saturday, April 2, at 3 PM EDT, I will donate an additional 50 cents, up to the above-named cap. (My starting number of followers is 2270.)

Also follow these Twitterers to increase donations: @Margorowder  @JanetSFox  @MarineCorpsNomd

And watch for a book giveaway later this week; if you want to be considered for it now, just leave your email or some way to contact you in your comment.

Thank you!

25 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Thank you so much for helping. Some of my best memories growing up are from the library! I am headed to twitter as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I _love_ libraries and this idea....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon this AWESOME challenge from Jessica Leader's website (I'm currently reading her book). As a librarian, I appreciate this soooooo much! And I'm subsequently finding more books to read! So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're wonderful! Thank you for this. I DO love libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, Jennifer, I'm a huge library supporter too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are doing this. So. Much.

    Thank you. Definitely re-tweeting this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great thing! Thanks for doing it and I know the libraries love you for helping them out in these tough times. Tweet on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for libraries! I'm off to post more comments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Jennifer, this is incredibly generous of you. I think it's amazing. Thank you for doing this! I love libraries...let's help fun them now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for libraries! Thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this so much I created a post of my own about it - I hope you get a lot of support :)

    New follower too!

    April @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I love my local library and donate books there regularly.

    Gisele :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, everyone, and keep spreading the library love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to be giving money again, but not doing a blog challenge. Still, you know I love libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous initiative! Libraries rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for supporting libraries. It is discouraging to read the news each day, seeing how many are facing budget cuts. Esp. when I finally finished my MLIS and try to switch careers. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your generosity...I wish all libraries had supporters like you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. In one year, our rural community raised enough $ to build its own library (librarians used to share rented space and spend two hours setting up/tearing down on the three days they were open). I love people who love and support libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great cause! It's very cool that your taking on the challenge and donating the money! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Go libraries! =) *waves YAvangelist banner*

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great idea! Thank you!
    I'm a member of the Friends of the Uphams Corner Library in Dorchester (Boston) Massachusetts - a member of Uphams Corner Branch Library/Boston Public Library!

    The Nation's First Public Library!
    W00T!

    ReplyDelete