Friday, February 4, 2011

Poetry challenge

On this Poetry Friday, I'm issuing a challenge:

Buy a poetry book. (Or a magazine full of poetry, or a verse novel.)

Although there is tons of free poetry floating around the internet, and you may have poetry books sitting on your shelves now that are ripe for rereading, I'm encouraging you to buy. The point is to show the kind of economic support that poetry doesn't often get. Of course, if you really can't afford to buy, then I suggest checking out some poetry from your local library, because library circulation statistics are also helpful in supporting poets.

I issue this challenge to all readers and writers, even if you don't think of yourself as a poet or a poetry reader. There are three reasons:

--There are wonderful experiences waiting for you in poetry. And if you've never tried a verse novel, they are so much fun to read--it's an exciting format right now, especially in YA.
--Poetry changes the way we look at language.
--Poetry changes the way we look at the world.

My choice for the challenge (because of course I am taking my own challenge!) is Blue Lipstick by John Grandits, which is on its way to me right now.



Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment