Friday, January 7, 2011

Thanks for a great year

A year ago today, my first novel came out. It's been quite a year! And now that book is out in paperback, too.

Throughout the year, I haven't linked to every award listing, interview, review, fan letter, and guest post. Not because I don't appreciate them--I absolutely do--but on this blog I try to focus mostly on the craft of writing, and not dwell overly much on my book. On this anniversary, however, I wanted to say a big Thank You for the following honors, among others:

YALSA Quick Picks nominee (books for reluctant readers)
Spring 2010 Indie Next list (Teen Reader category)
2011 Tayshas List (Texas Library Association, books recommended for young adults)
RT Book Reviews Reviewers’ Choice Awards, nominee in Young Adult Novel category

And thank you to everyone who put the book on their personal "best of" list, nominated it for awards (e.g, the Cybils), blogged or tweeted about it. Thank you to those who wrote me--I've tried to answer every one of you. Thank you to those who posted thoughtful reviews of the book, hosted interviews and chats, invited me to speak at your school or conference. Thank you for reading!

In a way, writing is a sort of conversation, and the writer only has control over part of it. It's been a pleasure to see readers respond to themes and ideas that I consciously wove into the book--and a delightful surprise to have them point out aspects I hadn't thought of before.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! Here's to hoping 2011 is even better :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amparo! Happy 2011 to you, too!

    ReplyDelete