Sunday, December 19, 2010

Seasonal thoughts

Wrapping presents affords me the opportunity to collect random thoughts on the season:

1. I have plenty of empty boxes, but none of them fit the presents I'm trying to wrap.

2. The older I get, the less I need to receive.

3. I get all excited about the Winter Solstice, because now the days will start getting longer.

4. Some people complain about holiday letters, but I like them a lot, especially from people I don't hear from often.

5. I keep finding cat hair in the Scotch tape.

6. There's a line in one of the holiday songs about "scary ghost stories," but I've never heard of any family having a tradition of telling ghost
stories at this time of year. Unless maybe that's a reference to A Christmas Carol?

7. I don't care how old I get, I still always want a white Christmas.

8. Candy canes are nicer to look at than to eat.

9. Books make excellent gifts. So do bookstore gift cards. (This message brought to you by a writer.)

10. My favorite holiday songs to listen to are "O Holy Night" and "Carol of the Bells." My favorite one to sing is "Joy to the World." Nobody needs to hear me attempting to sing "O Holy Night."

11. Sometimes it seems like a fun idea to start singing "The 12 Days of Christmas," but along about the 6th day, regret sets in.

12. I like to listen to holiday music while I wrap gifts, but I usually run out of music before I run out of gifts.

13. Sometimes I think I should get Nutcracker tickets, which always makes me think of the last time I saw the Nutcracker ballet. I was recovering from a bad cold, and had an uncontrollable coughing fit during the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

14. I love the lights, tinsel, and decorations at this time of year. I hate when everything gets taken down; it makes January even bleaker. I gave this same viewpoint to a character in my book (Julia); it's one of the few attributes she and I share.

15. At my day-job holiday party, we do one of those gift swap-and-steals that is, for me, a great spectator sport.

16. The older you get, the faster Christmas comes.

17. I have no desire to go out on New Year's Eve. The few times my husband and I do go out, we're home by ten o'clock. PAR-TAY!

18. Peppermint bark is a really good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment