Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Networking, more on giving up (or not), and an invitation

As soon as I saw this post by R.L. LaFevers of Shrinking Violet Promotions, I knew I wanted to link to it. There are so many good points here about social networking for introverts, for writers--for anyone, really. For example:

"The truth is, while I love measurable metrics as much as the next person ... I’m not sure this is the best way to approach your list of followers & friends. The thing we’re after here is building meaningful connections."

Amen to that. One reason I've kept blogging for three years is not because I've racked up X number of followers, but because I enjoy it. One reason I read a lot of other blogs is because I enjoy that, too. My online community has given me so much, and I hope I've given back, too.

Also from the same post:

"Where do you want to spend your emotional and creative resources? This isn’t a trick question and there isn’t one right answer." (I think this is also related to what I blogged about  yesterday.)

And speaking of good blog posts and online community, Becky Levine remarked on one of my blog posts and ran with it.  I had blogged about how you know whether to give up on a project, and Becky had these thoughts, among others:

"Because, in every project, there will be a moment when you hate it. When you don’t know where you’re going ... . So why (and when) do you keep going."

and

"Well, that need is not just about the moment, about the scene or the character. It’s about me–if I back off and give up on the need, how is that going to make me happy."

(So much of my writing is, deep down, about my own needs. That doesn't mean my manuscripts are literal expressions of my needs--everything, of course, is symbolic and figurative, transformed and distilled.)

I like this bloggy synergy, this exchange of ideas. And I've also been thinking about how I would like to visit a few more corners of the internet, and have a few more people appear on mine. So one of my goals for 2011 is to do just that: to do some guest posts and host some guests here. If you would be interested in this, please email me at jennifer[at]jenniferhubbard[dot]com, and we'll see if we can work something out. I don't want to blog just about my book--I'm looking for a variety of topics. You don't have to be a writer, and your blog doesn't have to be about writing--although if you are and it is, that's perfectly fine, too. I just thought it might be fun to have a "blogger exchange program" of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment