Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Look around

I'm not going to do a retrospective post of 2010. I've been seeing many such posts, and I'm a little dizzy with everyone's accomplishments, and with all the plans and resolutions for 2011. Looking back over the past two years, all I can say is this:

Nothing makes a year pass more slowly than having your first book scheduled to come out the following year. (So went 2009.)
Nothing makes a year pass more quickly than having your first book come out in January. (So went 2010.)

I swear, 2009 was about a hundred times longer than 2010.

At the moment, I don't want to dwell on the year that was or the new year that soon will be, but on the present. This moment, right now. I have a note on my desk that says, "Look around you," and if I do that, I see:

the rumpled quilt on the bed
the photograph of tulips that hangs on my wall
a December night sky, purpley-black with a single star glowing
snow gleaming on the ground
the blue cap from a bottle of water drunk long ago
the brown scarf I use as a dust cover for my keyboard

What do you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment