Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Clues

Today's challenge: Striking a balance between presenting a certain image or symbol often enough in a book that the reader notices it and remembers it when the time comes for its importance to be revealed, but not so often that it becomes irritating.

As a reader, I love to pick up clues and see them fall into place. But I hate when the importance of an object is revealed, and I--don't even remember the object being introduced in the first place.

It's a question of rhythm, I think; these images and symbols are notes that must be sounded at intervals.

I must have a clue! But not too much of one.

2 comments:

  1. Such subtle clues are, I think, integral parts of a good story. They remind me of reality, when I'm looking back on a part of my life and thinking... "I should have seen the importance of that."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about stories is that they can have a sense and an order that our lives don't always have.

      Delete